The mission and activities of the Program are highly dependent on the hundreds of volunteers who donate thousands of hours throughout the year. A variety of opportunities exist for volunteers, and many skills are needed to accomplish the wide spectrum of tasks required to complete the mission of the Program.
This brochure provides a further look at what it's like to volunteer with our program.
Most of the needed volunteer hours are divided between activities at the warehouse, in Park City, on food runs, or at the rug show.
Following is a list of activities available for current and new volunteers:
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT OUR SALT LAKE WAREHOUSE (328 West Gregson Avenue)
Regular volunteer days are held at the warehouse on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as well as occasional Saturdays. Activities include such things as packing food boxes, filling backpacks for school children, creating Christmas stockings, packing Grandma and Grandpa boxes, and many more things. Although activities are always taking place on the designated days there may be days where particular activities and needs occur.
The warehouse is centrally located just off I15 in the Salt Lake Valley. See the Map for details. It is also just a ten minute walk from the Millcreek (33rd South) TRAX station.
- Friday July 21 Regular volunteer activities.
- Tuesday July 25 Regular volunteer activities.
- Friday July 28 Regular volunteer activities.
- Saturday July 29 Starting at 9:15 a.m. food delivery at the warehouse. Come help unload food for the fall food runs.
- Tuesday August 1 Regular volunteer activities.
- Friday August 4 Regular volunteer activities.
- Saturday August 5 Starting at 8:00 a.m. Rainbow Food Box packing at the warehouse. Come help pack the food boxes for the fall food runs. We will complete half the boxes today and continue the following Saturday.
- Saturday August 12 Starting at 8:00 a.m. Rainbow Food Box packing at the warehouse. Today we will finish packing food boxes for the fall food runs.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN PARK CITY:
Volunteers are needed to help with administrative and operating tasks in Park City on an intermittent basis. Please call Linda at 435-649-0535 for more details.
One of the principal purposes of the Program is to provide food, clothing and supplies to Elders on the reservation. This is carried out primarily through the Semi-annual Food Runs held in the spring and fall.
Dates for the fall food runs are as follows:
(Note: an additional food run to Kayenta has been added to the August sequence and the duration of the food run is now one day longer.)
- August 21-24: Oljato-Navajo Mountain-Kayenta food run.
- September 26-29: Dilkon-Leupp-Birdsprings food run.
- October 3-7: Many Farms-Pinon-Tsaile food run.
- October 8-12: Sanders-Big Mountain-Teesto food run.
Click here to download a driver's application for the fall food runs.
For a brief glimpse of what a food run is like, you can view a slide show of pictures from a food run to Many Farms.
To read about two volunteers' experiences at their first food run click here and here.
Also, to help orient prospective food run volunteers, here is a short four-paged brochure about our food runs.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP FROM A DISTANCE:
We appreciate the many people who offer to volunteer from afar. Here are a few ways you can help:
- Inspire people you know to help the Elders. Our sponsors have worked with local clubs, churches and social groups to raise funds for our projects. For example, you might host a breakfast for friends to encourage them to donate to the Oatmeal program. We will provide you with brochures and the other handouts you need to inspire others to support a project that inspires you.
- Give a presentation in your community to promote awareness of the Elders' needs. We will provide you a powerpoint presentation to facilitate your talk and brochures to help audience members make donations in support of the program.
- Sponsor a small rug show in your area.
If you would like to help us in any of these, or other, ways please call 801-474-0535 or email.