The mission and activities of the Program are highly dependent on the hundreds of volunteers who donate thousands of hours throughout the year. A variety of opportunities exist for volunteers, and many skills are needed to accomplish the wide spectrum of tasks required to complete the mission of the Program.
This brochure provides a further look at what it's like to volunteer with our program.
Most of the needed volunteer hours are divided between activities at the warehouse, in Park City, on food runs, or at the rug show.
Following is a list of activities available for current and new volunteers:
VOLUNTEER FOR THE RUG SHOW
A.N.E. is supported by many wonderful, selfless volunteers who contribute their time. If you would like to volunteer for the upcoming Annual Navajo Rug Show, please click here.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT OUR SALT LAKE WAREHOUSE (328 West Gregson Avenue)
Regular volunteer days are held at the warehouse on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as well as occasional Saturdays. Activities include such things as packing food boxes, filling backpacks for school children, creating Christmas stockings, packing Grandma and Grandpa boxes, and many more things. Although activities are always taking place on the designated days there may be days where particular activities and needs occur.
The warehouse is centrally located just off I15 in the Salt Lake Valley. See the Map for details. It is also just a ten minute walk from the Millcreek (33rd South) TRAX station.
- Tuesday October 24 Continue packing Christmas stockings.
- Wednesday October 25 Final rug show volunteers meeting. 5:30 at the Park City Community Church.
- Friday October 27 Continue packing Christmas stockings.
- Saturday October 28 Shiyazhi Pageant at the warehouse, 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday October 31 Rug Show prep day.
- Friday November 3 Rug Show organizing.
- Tuesday November 7 No volunteer activities at the warehouse today.
- Friday November 10 No volunteer activities at the warehouse today. Please join us at the show!
- Tuesday November 14 No volunteer activities at the warehouse today.
- Friday November 17 Final day for packing Christmas stockings.
- Sunday November 19 Volunteer Thanksgiving dinner at the warehouse. 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday November 21 Closed for Thanksgiving.
- Friday November 24 Closed for Thanksgiving.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN PARK CITY:
Volunteers are needed to help with administrative and operating tasks in Park City on an intermittent basis. Please call Linda at 435-649-0535 for more details.
One of the principal purposes of the Program is to provide food, clothing and supplies to Elders on the reservation. This is carried out primarily through the Semi-annual Food Runs held in the spring and fall.
The fall food runs have been successfully completed. We hope you will join us for a food run in the spring. Those dates will be published as soon as they are available.
For a brief glimpse of what a food run is like, you can view a slide show of pictures from a food run to Many Farms.
To read about two volunteers' experiences at their first food run click here and here.
Also, to help orient prospective food run volunteers, here is a short four-paged brochure about our food runs.
RUG SHOW VOLUNTEERS:
The 28th annual rug show will be held Nov. 10th-12th, 2017. Many volunteers are needed to make this event the success it has always been. The rug show is one of the most important ways we have to provide benefits and support to Elders and their families.
Upcoming dates related to planning for the show are:
- October 25 Wednesday, 5:30 at the Park City Community Church: GENERAL VOLUNTEER MEETING for the rug show. This is our final volunteer meeting prior to the show. Don't miss out on being a part of this wonderful event. Click here for directions to the church.
- November 5 Sunday, 5:30 at the warehouse: Rug Show Training. John Burrow will conduct a training for rug show volunteers which will provide an overview of Navajo textiles as well as display many of the rugs that will be featured at the show. You will also learn more about the rug show itself and how to effectively deal with prospective buyers.
If you would like to volunteer for the show and sign up online, please click here.
If you have questions about volunteering for the show, please contact our volunteer coordinator Marilyn Boschetto at email@example.com.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP FROM A DISTANCE:
We appreciate the many people who offer to volunteer from afar. Here are a few ways you can help:
- Inspire people you know to help the Elders. Our sponsors have worked with local clubs, churches and social groups to raise funds for our projects. For example, you might host a breakfast for friends to encourage them to donate to the Oatmeal program. We will provide you with brochures and the other handouts you need to inspire others to support a project that inspires you.
- Give a presentation in your community to promote awareness of the Elders' needs. We will provide you a powerpoint presentation to facilitate your talk and brochures to help audience members make donations in support of the program.
- Sponsor a small rug show in your area.
If you would like to help us in any of these, or other, ways please call 801-474-0535 or email.